Monday, September 21, 2009

P90X Series: Core Synergistics

Hey guys!
Some of you may know that I am starting the P90X program. This is a program designed to 'transform' your body in a matter of 90 days. Hmmmmmm...suuureee. Just like with any program, it is about how much you put into it and your diet. This program consists of 12 different DVD videos outlining 12 different workouts, from Yoga, Core, Stretch, and all of the muscles in your body (ie chest and back, shoulders arms, biceps, etc.). You can choose from Lean, Classic, or Doubles depending on the intensity you like and the type of muscle you would like to shoot for. If you would like more information fell free to check the program out! I looked up tons of youtube videos, read articles, talked to people I know who did it, etc.

A sorority sister of mine and I are doing the program together before we go to Vegas in November..so really it is P56X for us (or something like that)..lol.

I will be writing a review on each of the workouts as I come across them. I will go ahead and put my disclaimer here: I AM NOT A FITNESS PROFESSIONAL WHATSOEVER. Some people may read this and immediately think this program is garbage..soo be it. I get really bored with my workouts so I like to switch things up. This is just another avenue to fitness for me. Also, workout at your own risk!

Since I am doing the Lean program to build lean muscle, I started out with CORE SYNERGISTICS. It is exactly what it sounds like...a variety of exercises aimed at utilizing your core muscles. What I like about this program is Tony Horton's emphasis on form and doing things correctly. I am not a fitness expert, personal trainer, etc. and I cannot tell you what works and doesn't work. I can tell you that Tony Horton does a great job of helping you improve form to get the job done. I was impressed by the variety of exercies and how quickly the hour program went by. He breaks it down by one to two minutes, so you are constantly doing something.

He is also pretty encouraging. It is clear that not only does he emphasize form, but he emphasizes bulding up to maximum reps. I cannot do a push up (off the knees) and at first I got discouraged b/c one particular move we started out with requires you to do push ups. Before I could even lay down on the ground in defeat he said something like, "If you can't go all the way down and can only do a little dip, then do it! You will get better in time". Now I am not one for these mushy, cutsy wootsy encouraging fitness trainers. I prefer when someone yells and screams during a workout...but his "practical, matter of fact, just get it done the best you can" attitude really seems to work for me. Also, the models they use in the video are really working it out. They are all sweating, struggling at some parts, taking breaks, switching thinks up, and working hard. These people in the video are trained professional and if THEY are working their butts to do it, then of course it wouldn't be easy for me! Of course it takes hard work and persistance! So I didn't feel bad when I had to stop and shake it out.

The cons are...well, the music is really blah. But the amount of focus that goes into perfecting each move really takes me away from the music. I think after a couple of weeks I may turn my MP3 player on since I won't really need Tony to describe the moves to me anymore.

Today after I worked out, I definitely had built a sweat and my muscles felt tense. I didn't feel my heartrate as much as I would have liked, but CORE SYNERGISTICS is not meant to be a cardio program. It is only one piece of the puzzle. I am going to give myself time to get acclamated to the program, but I think I am going to supplement my 'easier' days with an extra 45 min of cardio at the gym. We will see how it goes. I think for the first video, I did a pretty good job. Sure I couldn't keep up the entire time and I had to modify a lot of the moves..but at least I did it..jeeeez!

I will keep you guys posted on the next workouts!

P90X BRING IT!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You're right. The music is blah. I did the same thing, after a couple of weeks I just turned the music off and turned my MP3 player on. It helped!

    ReplyDelete