Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Putting my best foot forward..

It's offical..I am turning into a professional runner. NOT! Anybody who knows me knows that I HATE running. I get tired sooo quickly, get terrible shin splints, and get incredibly bored. However, if I am forced to do it (which I believe I might have been a time or two) the high that I get afterward is so amazing. This runner's high provides me with a sense of accomplishment, determination, and strength. Just lovely!

So yesterday I decided to treat myself to a new pair of running shoes. Babies may be expensive, but they sure as hell help with a tax rebate (thanks Mikel)...so I decided to buy something for myself for once. I walk into Finishline and began looking at all my choices. I knew I wanted something bright and fun because I wanted to be able to look at my running shoes and feel good about going outside or to the gym and not bored. I started looking at the silvers, the yellows, the blues, the oranges. My eye caught a lovely silver and white pair with this neon green lining. They were great..but entirely too expensive. Walked by the clearance section to see if there was anything better and I saw about 3 or 4 pink and silver Nikes that looked great. I finally decided on a yellow and silver pair that seemed perfect! They were great up until I walked passed another clearance aisle and saw a similar pair that were silver and bright blue with yellow lining and a yellow Nike check...all for 20 bucks cheaper for the original yellow pair. I don't know about anybody else, but when I buy something that I really have wanted I take FOREVER to make up mind. Maybe because I know that for now funds are limited and if I am going to splurge, I want to make sure it is something 'perfect' or maybe I am just picky..who knows. The point is, I was in Finishline for what seemed like an eternity trying to decide between these two pair of shoes, lol. Looking back I took entirely too long, but oh well. I am happy with my final choice.

The point is..this makes me reflect on my decision making style and realize that I am proud of my ability to be thorough in my choices. I know someone that doesn't think before he acts and it annoys me. Likewise, I know another individual who just opens her mouth and spews verbal diarrhea about anything and everything as if anybody cares. Okay, that was mean, but seriously though...why don't people think about things before they speak, act, react, do, etc.? Whether it is deciding what shoes to buy or what job offer to accept, some sort of thinking is always necessary. Now obviously more thought goes into one versus the other..but I am tired of having to deal with such careless attitudes around me. Now I must clarify that it doesn't really bother me until it affects me..and I am strictly speaking my annoyance on those people who's behavior is directly affecting me.

I am sure that this can also be a strength at times. I can honestly say that there have been times when I stress myself out too much because I want to make the 'right decision' instead of just going with the flow. This is not good, and this is my own personal flaw that I am working on. Just like improving my running...it takes practice and baby steps. You can't push yourself too far, but you have to be honest about challenging yourself. At times you want to be selfish, and do what you want, and quit, and at other times you feel on top of the world, ready to run 26.2 miles (Go JB!) and be that carefree soul. Looks like I have a lot of practice ahead of me..

Tis all...

2 comments:

  1. Although its not the moral of the story, new running shoes does increase your desire to hit the gym. When you look fly, you feel fly lol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are so right. I felt so fly in the gym today with my new shoes..lol.

    ReplyDelete