Thursday, May 6, 2010

D.I.Y: Avocado Hair Mask for Shiny Hair

A few months back I was coloring my grandmother's hair with an at home coloring kit. As I was applying her signature fire engine Puerto Rican red coloring (lmao), she was telling me about how she used to put avocados in her hair to make it shiny. A lightbulb went off in my head and I was determined to find a recipe! I googled and found a simple recipe to make an at home hair mask.

You will need:
One ripe/black Avocado. I prefer to use California Avocados (smaller kind) because if you use a larger one you only need to use half. You can use the other half for a face mask if you like (post coming soon).
One egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
Optional: 1 tablespoon honey (I never have used this because I never remember to get honey!)
Mixing bowl/Utensils
Step 1: The avocado should be black and soft to the touch. Cut it in half to expose the seed.
Step 2: Scrape the avocado from the skin into the bowl. It should look something like this.
Step 3: Mash the avocado until fairly smooth. There will still be some bumps and lumps but try to get most of them out. It will look like baby poo. Yuck!
Step 4: Mix in the other ingredients.
Step 5: Wet your hair and divide into four sections. You can also choose not to wet your hair.
Step 6: Distribute the mask into your hair. Sometimes the lumps get stuck. Be sure to smooth it out.
Step 7: Place a plastic cap on your head and leave on for 20-30 minutes.
Step 8: Run water through your hair and rinse thoroughly. It can take some time if there are lumps but rinse well.
Step 9: Lightly, lightly, lightly shampoo your hair to get any remaining out. I recommend a sulfate free shampoo (L'Oreal has a whole line of them) or you can co-wash (wash with conditioner).

This is how it looks right after washing with no product in it.
This wet with product and after styling.
This is the next morning when dry. A bit blurry.


I love D.I.Y stuff like this! Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment