Monday, March 2, 2009

Back To Reality

Today was the first day on the new job. My job title is Adoptions/Fostercare Recruiter but it is slightly inaccurate and will be changing soon. Basically, I license individuals be reputable foster parents and train them on how to have safe foster homes. Not only do I recruit families to be foster parents, but I guide them through the licensing process and keep in contact with them to make sure everything is going smoothly. At first, I thought it would be just a position until I find something better, but today has made me feel much more positive. Don't get me wrong...no matter how I feel about my job, I am going to always put my best foward and get the work done..it's just a matter of how much I vent and gripe about it when I get home. As a professional, it is important to act that way and not let your personal feelings into your job performance (although this can be extremely difficult to do in my field).

Anyway, so I go to my first day of training and think everyone is just great. Everyone from my HR Coordinator, to my boss, to my team, the adminstrative guru, the IT guy..everyone..all seem friendly and helpful. I have heard about Children's Homes Society through colleagues and friends that have worked in this agency. I have heard plenty of bad things, seen a lot of chaos, and frustration...honestlty, it probably is the nature of the positions..case management is a difficult job for ANYONE. These people should be treated better and paid much more for all the work and dedication they are DEMANDED to put forth. Anywho..Adoptions (well I will really only being doing foster care) seems so much more organized, put together, and less stressful. I always knew this division was much slower so that definitely helps. I am working hand in hand with three other ladies..two around my age...and one older lady..and they all seem to be a blast. When I arrived at my cubicle they had a huge WELCOME sign already made for me and seemed eager to get to know me. It was a comforting feeling. First days are always awkward and scary, so it put me at ease.

I must note that I interviewed for this job waaayyy back in October or November...it was a loonng time ago. I never heard anything back, so I figured I didn't get the position. In fact, this was the very firs job interview I went on in Tampa. I get a call from HR about two weeks ago telling me that they are interested in me and wondered if I was still looking for work. I was shocked. I told them yes, told them my expected salary offer, and Mery from HR was off to put in my offer. Well, they came pretty darn close to it, gave me a call back a week later and asked if I was ready to start training. Fast forward to today and my boss is telling me that he wanted to let me know that right off the bat, he knew I was the one for the job (and I also know a lot of people interviewed for the posiiton). He also said that they took so long in contacting me because their was some internal changes occuring and they were trying to decide on whether they should fill my position or alocate the budget toward another supervisor position. Ultimately, they chose me! I was beyond flattered and excited. It seems as if the three of them (the ladies I will be working with) really value how close knit they are and how they 'have one another's backs'. Let's just say..I feel welcomed into the family ;-)

We will see how it goes! Look foward to many more adventures lol..

No comments:

Post a Comment